The possibility of moving every few years in a Marine’s career can be difficult for spouses, especially when trying to establish a career. Many states are requiring new residents to update their licenses and credentials to practice in certain career fields. This means that every few years, spouses need to get new licenses or switch career fields.

For Marine spouses who require a re-licensure or re-certification during a Permanent Change of Station (PCS), you can now receive a reimbursement of up to $1,000. The new policy will allow for reimbursement of relicensing fees, including exams, certifications, and registration.

To file a claim, the service member needs to submit a request through the local Personnel Administration Office/Center with the following documentation:

  • PCS orders with an effective date between 20 December 2019 and 31 December 2024
  • A copy of their spouse’s state occupational license or certification from the previous duty station
  • A copy of their spouse’s state occupational license or certification from the new duty station
  • Receipt of total fees paid after the date the Marines PCS orders are issued

Requests for reimbursement of relicensing or recertification fees associated with PCS orders with an effective date after May 2019 shall be submitted no later than 24 months after the effective date of PCS orders.

Personnel Administration Office/Centers refer to Pay Allowances Advisory Notice (PAAN) 1-20 on Spouse Reimbursement for further instructions on how to process reimbursement requests.

To learn more about reimbursement and/or spouse employment resources, please contact your local Family Member Employment Assistance Program office and be sure to check out MARADMIN 091/20 for details.